Sunday, May 8, 2011

Faking It and Mother's Day

     Since today is Mother's Day, I was planning all week to write about the day, gift-giving, and how we can use gift-giving in a way that will help the US economy get back on track.  However, as life often does, my research took me down a different path - a path leading to faking it.

     Ancient "mothering festivals" honored the "goddess in all women."  This concept appeals to me.  In the US, American goddesses are honored with flowers, candy, gifts, and special meals. While gift shopping for those special women in our lives, we can help to create a demand for US-made goods and products by carefully checking labels and, whenever possible, buying those items that are "Made in USA."  However, as I discovered, this isn't always the case.   

     While shopping recently, I was encouraged to find more "Made in USA" clothing on store racks than I had seen in quite a while.  ( I later learned that this was due to an upsurge in "Made in USA" business.) In one retail store, I found a stylish white blouse that was not only marked down, but according to the label, was "Made in USA."  Happily, I purchased the blouse.  Sometimes, though, things are just too good to be true. The label had a company name that was unfamiliar to me.  I researched the manufacturer only to find that while the company is based in CA, and calls itself a US company, their manufacturing facility has been moved to Vietnam.

     I was disappointed, to say the least.  The Federal Trade Commission (FTC) is the arbiter of all things "Made in USA."  I'm not an attorney, but in my opinion, according to the FTC website, the company who made my blouse in Vietnam, and claimed it was "Made in USA" is clearly noncompliant with the rules and regulations of the FTC.

     On its website, the FTC has posted ways, including an electronic complaint form, to report complaints against companies.  I have reported the manufacturer of my blouse, but according to its website, the FTC enters all complaints it receives into a secure online database that is used internationally by civil and criminal law enforcement authorities, but doesn't resolve individual consumer complaints itself.

     The moral of my story:  Beware of fake "Made in USA" clothing masquerading as "Made in USA" clothing.  (This week's recommendations are four clothing companies still manufacturing 100% of their clothing in the USA.)  Treat the mother-goddesses in your life well, and buy and promote "Made in USA" goods and products whenever you can.  If you find a company who is fraudulently claiming that a product was "Made in USA," for what it's worth, report it to the FTC by following the instructions on their website.
********************   
This week's recommendations:

·         Beyond Clothing - Made in USA in Seattle, WA (http://www.beyondclothing.com/)

·         Eagle USA - Made in USA in Wendell, NC  (www.eaglesportswear.com/)

·         Red Ants Pants - Made in USA in White Sulphur Springs, MT  (www.redantspants.com/)

·         Wearable Integrity - Made in USA in Los Angeles, CA (http://barbaralesser.com/designer_profile.html)

 Sources:



No comments:

Post a Comment